In September 1995, the Virginia Genealogical Society's Board of Governors formally established a five-category awards program to recognize individuals and organizations who have made significant contributions to the genealogical community. Awards are not necessarily annual awards, but will be presented when merited by a nominee.
- Fellow of the Virginia Genealogical Society (FVGS) Award. This award recognizes individuals for their long-term contributions in a given area, long-term contribution in more than one area, and exemplary service in the promotion of study of genealogy and family history in Virginia.
Download the Fellow Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Virginia Records Award. This award recognizes outstanding contributions in making more records available to researchers through publication. Individuals who have excelled in the areas of publishing, writing, or editing Virginia genealogical source materials.
Download the Virginia Records Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Commonwealth Award. This award recognizes other societies or organizations within the state for performing outstanding service in the promotion of genealogical study. Achievements in this area would include maintaining a genealogical research library, preserving local records, improving genealogical education through special projects, compiling widely-accessible electronic databases, and producing high-quality publications.
Download the Commonwealth Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Volunteer Award. This award recognizes an individual for exceptional or long-term volunteer service that supports or advances local or statewide Virginia genealogical research.
Download the Volunteer Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Honorary Life Member Award. This award recognizes an individual for volunteer service and activities over a long period that supported or advanced the goals of the Virginia Genealogical Society.
Download the Honorary Life Member application (PDF fill-in form)
Procedure: Nominations of qualified individuals and organizations for any of the awards described above must be postmarked no later than February 1st. Application forms that may be used for this purpose are available from the VGS office, or download (see above).
The Board of Governors will review applications at the September board meeting, and successful nominees will be presented with an appropriate award during the fall conference. These are not necessarily annual awards, but will be presented when merited by a nominee.