In September 1995, the Virginia Genealogical Society's Board of Governors formally established an awards program to recognize individuals and organizations who have made significant contributions to the genealogical community. Awards are not necessarily annual awards, but will be presented when merited by a nominee.
- Fellow of the Virginia Genealogical Society (FVGS) Award. This award recognizes individuals for their long-term contributions in a given area, long-term contribution in more than one area, and exemplary service in the promotion of study of genealogy and family history in Virginia.
Download the Fellow Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Virginia Records Award. This award recognizes outstanding contributions in making more records available to researchers through publication. Individuals who have excelled in the areas of publishing, writing, or editing Virginia genealogical source materials.
Download the Virginia Records Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Commonwealth Award. This award recognizes other societies or organizations within the state for performing outstanding service in the promotion of genealogical study. Achievements in this area would include maintaining a genealogical research library, preserving local records, improving genealogical education through special projects, compiling widely-accessible electronic databases, and producing high-quality publications.
Download the Commonwealth Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Volunteer Award. This award recognizes an individual for exceptional or long-term volunteer service that supports or advances local or statewide Virginia genealogical research.
Download the Volunteer Award application (PDF fill-in form)
- Honorary Life Member Award. This award recognizes an individual for volunteer service and activities over a long period that supported or advanced the goals of the Virginia Genealogical Society.
Download the Honorary Life Member application (PDF fill-in form)
Eligibility and Nomination Criteria
- Current VGS Board members are not eligible for awards.
- Membership in VGS is not required of a nominator or nominee.
- Awards can be given posthumously.
- A nominator may not submit a nominee for more than one award.
- A nominator may submit multiple nominees for a given award.
- A nominator may submit nominees for all three categories.
- Name, address, e-mail, and telephone number of the nominator
- Name, address, and e-mail of the nominee
- Supporting information that is brief yet detailed; discussion of at least three achievements is requested
- Additional documentation, such as a list of publications
- If award is posthumously, provide additional information including to whom presentation should be made
- A citation that highlights the significance of the nominee’s achievements
Review of Nominations: All nominations will be reviewed by the Awards Committee.
Selection and Presentation of Awards: Successful nominees will be notified prior to the announcement. Award presentation will be made during the VGS' annual meeting
John Frederick Dorman (1999)
Netti Schreiner-Yantis (1999)
Robert Young Clay (1999)
Wesley E Pippenger (2005)
Barbara Vines LIttle (2010)
Shirley Langdon Wilcox (2014)
Dr. Benjamin B. Weisiger, III (posthumously, 1999)
Ruth and Sam Sparacio (1999)
John Vogt (1999)
June Banks Evans (1999)
Patricia B. Duncan (2006)
John Frederick Dorman (2006)
Belle Harrell (2006)
Wesley E. Pippenger (2008)
Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis (2008)
Mary Kegley (2008)
Jean L Cooper (2009)
Marty Hiatt (2014)
Ronald Ray Turner (2016)
Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society (1999)
Ruth Eastern Lloyd Information Center (RELIC) (2006)
Bedford Genealogical Society (2007)
Virginia-North Piedmont Genealogical Society (2007)
Fairfax Genealogical Society (2008)
Tidewater Genealogical Society (2008)
Stewart Bell Jr. Archives (2013)
Central Rappahannock Heritage Center (2015)
Wythe County Genealogical and Historical Association (2016)
Fairfax Circuit Court Historic Records Center (2017)
Babe Fowler (2007)
Char Bah (2011)
Ruth Blevens (2012)
Temple Lawrence (2012)
Carole Field Lacy (2015)